How to Reach the Hotel and Conference Venue
In Brno: You can take tram No. 4,5,12,13 from the main railway station to the "Česká" stop (the third stop) and then walk about 300 m to the hotel. You will need to purchase one ticket for 14 CZK.
It might be easier to take a taxi; however, please take into account that the distance is about 2 km from the bus station (from the Student Agency Bus Terminal) or railway station to the hotel Continental. The cab fare should be about 100-150 CZK (40 CZK to start the meter and then about 30 CZK per kilometer). Unfortunately, Czech taxi drivers have a bad reputation (especially in Prague), that's why we warn you about the price.
The Faculty of Science at Masaryk University is situated at Kotlářská street 2. It is about 800 m from the hotel Continental. Veer right from the hotel and turn left at the light after about 800 m; after serveral metres you will reach the main entrance of the Faculty of Science.
From the student hostel you can use trolley lines No. 25, 26 from Lipová to the Konečného náměstí stop. From the stop continue in the same direction along the brown fence (paling) and you will reach the main entrance to the Faculty of Science in around 100 m.
How to reach Brno
Brno can be reached easily by direct trains from Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest. You can travel by plane to Vienna and then by coach or train (130 km). Another possibility is to travel by plane to Prague and then travel about 200 km by plane, coach or train.
Arriving by Plane
There are direct flights to the Brno airport from Prague, London and Moscow. The nearest large international airports are Vienna (130 km) and Prague (200 km). They provide good train/bus connections to Brno; some airlines even offer direct bus transport to Brno from the airport. Ask your travel agent for this option when buying your plane ticket.
How to get from Vienna Airport to Brno:
- There are direct bus lines from Vienna to Brno (Wien-Brünn); however, you need to book the seat in advance. It is possible to acquire reservation via internet and sometimes they have free seats; it is also possible to buy the ticket on the bus.
- If you want to travel by train, you can purchase a ticket at the railway station. You need to go from airport to the Südbahnhof railway station. There are Vienna Airport Lines (airport service runs every 20 minutes) or any other ways of transport. Note that there are multiple railway stations in Vienna.
How to get from Prague Airport to Brno:
- Czech airlines offer short 50 min flights from Prague to Brno.
- Another option is traveling by bus. There are direct bus lines from the Prague airport to Brno. Student Agency buses (recognizable by the yellow colour) depart from the Prague airport every hour from 7:35 to 21:35. It is possible to book a seat in advance via internet. You can also buy the ticket in the Student Agency Ticket Office at the Prague airport, Terminal 1. The ticket price is 250 CZK.
- The last possibility is to travel by a regular bus or by train. However you need to take care of the transit from the airport to the railway/bus station by public transport.
Arriving by Car
Brno is located in the southwest part of the Czech Republic, on he D-1 backbone motorway Prague-Brno-Bratislava, and on the rail-road line Prague-Brno-Vienna. The nearest international airports are Vienna and Prague. It takes about a 120 minutes to get to Brno from Vienna and 150 minutes from Prague. Use exit 190 when leaving the motorway from Prague.Notes:
1) If you want to use a Czech highway you must buy a stamp (CZK 220,- for 7 days, CZK 330,- for 1 month).
2) For a map of the Czech Republic see Maps CZ or Maps Google.
Arriving by Train
Brno can be reached easily by direct EC/SC trains from Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest. You may find train connections which suit you best by using the on-line timetable services.For railway or bus connections the actual information may be found at:
a) Bus and Train Timetables
b) Train Timetable.